Winster School was opened in 1866.
School life was very different for pupils at the school:
There was a house for the Headteacher attached to the school. This now houses the administration office and the Headteacher's office. The plaque that celebrates the centenary from 1866 to 1966 was presented to Winster School by the Queen. The school logo was designed by a former pupil. It represents a lead miner's lantern going down a mine shaft. The village of Winster flourished and grew around the lead mining industry.